Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Dunedin & Tarpon Springs 8-10 December

Pulling into Dunedin after our crossing was a little gem. Our intent was to get a slip at Dunedin Public Marina but it was the night of the Christmas boat parade and the slips were all full. The gentleman working the marina passed us shower codes, directed us to the nearest laundry and we were good to go. We anchored in the harbor a short distance from the marina and stayed there for our entire visit. We had the best seats in the house for the parade. Just a short dingy ride for the amenities. Intermittent wifi. All for free who could complain.
 Our view from the boat


I tried to take pictures of the Christmas Boat parade but I’m afraid it was a dismal fail. Taking pictures of moving boats from a moving boat is a no go. The parade was beautiful. The music was festive. Marc and I enjoyed our ring side view with drink in hand from the cock pit. 


The following day we boarded the Jolly Trolly and headed for Tarpon Springs. The sponge capital of the world. 


It all began when a sponge diver from Greece came over and saw the commercial potential for sponges of the Gulf waters. The tarpon springs Sponge Industry was the largest in the world with over a fleet of 125 boats and 500 men. One hundred and fifty of those men would be divers. The boats would go into the gulf of Mexico for up to six weeks to collect the sponges. Sadly one local told us there is only about 10 working boats left. After the sponges were brought in by divers and hooking boats they are sold at the sponge exchange. The sponges are cleaned, clipped packed and shipped for sale. 





 We had been told by many that we had to go visit this wonderful Greek community. We expected it to be commercial and a washed down version of Greece. Not so. Yes, it was commercial but some areas were so pure Greek. We went into a Greek bakery and I think we were the only ones talking english. The food...as you know for me, it is always about the food and I wasn’t disappointed. 


No sea food for us this time we had Greek yum

Marc always liked the big boned girls LOL 

So the next day I slogged our laundry downtown Dunedin while Marc finished installing the solar panels. BTW the laundry trip for 3 loads & taxi cost us $40. Can you imagine! Nuts. Quick jobs we take for granted at home seem to be huge chores on the boat. We then hiked 2.5 km into a UPS. Bought some groceries and continued to hike the return 2.5 km. Not an easy feat with 30-40 pounds of food. We are on a budget. Taxi versus rum, hmmmm. Anyway I find out this is the spring training home of the Toronto Blue Jays. I persuade my wonderful captain to go a couple km out of his way to see the stadium. 




My mom and dad were Blue Jay fans. I can still remember when my dad couldn’t see the game on TV he would sit in his truck and listen on the radio. I think that my mother new every stat of every player. For years they both coached the Blue Jays from their comfy chairs. I just had to go. Of course it was locked up tight but I got in! No Trespassing signs are for other people. 

 This was a practice area (I think)





And 1993


Last but not least I heard you guys were cold up there Tee Hee! Miss you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment